Saturday, February 07, 2015

Black Mount

One of the best days I've had in the hills for a log time traversing the Munros of Stob a Choire Odhair and Stob Ghabhar from Victoria Bridge. I skinned from just above the small climbing hut as far as the steep bit going up Stob a Choire Odhair. The west ridge was ski-able in places but mostly scoured off.
I wasn't sure about continuing on to Stob Ghabhar but luck was with me and I bumped into Jamie Bankhead (whom I'd never met before). He lead me up the optimum route onto the Aonach Eagach which was quite steep near the top, crampons and ice axe essential. We continued on over the narrow section to reach the short climb up to the summit of Stob Gharbar.
A short Way down the south ridge I clipped into the awkward longs things that had been catching on rocks for the past hour or so, and (with slight feeling of guilt), left Jamie to trudge on while I linked it together all the way back to the corner of the plantation. A long rewarding descent after all that carrying.
To be fair, snow condition weren't that good being either icey or heavy slab with breakable crust, but the weather made the day. This is an area I don't know well and I'm looking forward to future trips and maybe the long traverse through to Meall a Bhuiridh.
No problems with the H. Beginning to feel more confident about out in the hills on my own again.





No comments: