Saturday, February 13, 2010

Geal Charn, Dorback Lodge

Skied up Geal Charn behind Dorback Lodge. Most of the snow has gone below 300m but vehicle tracks still have enough cover to be usable. I carried for about a kilometer at the start and the same on the way back which is acceptable for a 10K loop.

Total white-out on top; meaning no horizon and visibility down to a coupe of meters. I nearly turned back but an occasional fence post enticed me on until I was lucky enough to find some fresh tracks 50m from the summit cairn which also got me down the north ridge. Its amazing how any technique you thought you might have goes out the window in bad visibility and uncertain terrain.

The comforting sanctuary of a lone Scots Pine on the way back to Dorback Lodge.




View Geal Charn in a larger map

No comments: