Thursday, May 03, 2012

Cairngorm 4000 Ski Tour

Tailler Burn from near Cairn Toul
Having just got back from Eigg (see previous post), it was a bit of a rush to get everything together for an early start on Cairngorm 4000 tops.

I got up at 6.00 am and left the car park at 7.30 am fully prepared to skin up to the summit. Luckily I bumped into my anonymous mate at the bottom of the M1 tow who generously offered to give me a lift to the top. Purity and ethics out the window and enjoy the ride!

Macdui by 9.30 am and on to the top of the Taillear Burn. I was concerned that the headwall had obviously avalanched in a big way at some point in the last couple of days. There was a huge amount of debris but the snow pack seemed to have stablised since the weekend. Never the less I was anxious to get out of the danger zone as quickly as possible, particularly as I was alone.

On the way back through the Chalamain Gap
The snow did not extend down to the Ghru necessitating a wade across the Dee and flog up Corie Odhar. I was lucky enough to bump into Graham Stein and Andy Lole on the plateau. We worked as a team on the second half of the tour which was useful in the heavy afternoon conditions.

The descent down Corie Gorm was still in excellent condition despite the heat. The snow ran out a short way above Lochan Odhar. Back at the car park for 6.30 pm.

Another incredible day in the Scottish hills.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Amazing - glad you got (most of it ;)) done finally