I’ve been wanting to try this mountain biking link up for a couple of years. The route circumnavigates the Cairngorm Massive, connecting the principal glens and villages. I had done some of the individual sections in previous years but wondered if I could connect all the sections into one big day with the same start and finish point.
- You could start at any point. I started from near Loch an Eilein south of Aviemore
- Through Rothiemurchus Forest to Glenmore
- Over Ryvoan Pass and The Braes of Nethy to Dorback Lodge
- Through to Tomintoul via Glen Brown
- Glen Avon, Loch Builg, Invercauld Bridge to Braemar
- Linn of Dee, White Bridge, Glen Tilt to Blair Atholl
- Gaick Pass to Tromie Bridge
- Road back to starting point via Insh and Feshie Bridge
- Total distance from bike computer 123 miles
View Tour Of The Cairngorms in a larger map
I relied on filling up at cafe stops for food, only carrying sports drink and a couple of sandwiches which I never actually got round to eating.
There are cafes in Tomintoul, Braemar and Blair Atholl:
Tomintoul - The Old Fire Station Cafe officially opens at 9am but appears to serve from 8.30 am if you just walk in.
Braemar - There is a chippy and two cafes in the village. Turn down the Linn of Dee road and the cafes are on the right.
Blair Atholl - A good cafe that turns into a chippy after 5pm. Opposite the entrance to the caravan park and next to the Atholl Country Life Musem
Great route. Did it a couple of years ago over a couple of days and have been thinking about a long mid-summer daytrip ever since. Well done!
Post a Comment